Sunday, December 8, 2013

Vanilla Paleo Coconut Milk Pudding

My kids are sick this week.
Really sick. . .with the kind of bug that causes a Mom to stay by their side from 1-4am simply to provide comfort.

I don't like my kids to consume dairy when they have a stomach bug, as the enzymes that digest dairy are the first to disappear when a bad stomach illness hits.

My kids' favorite comfort food is vanilla pudding, and I've finally mastered a simple, creamy, nutritious pudding that is deliciously nurturing.


Vanilla Paleo Coconut Milk Pudding
1 can coconut milk (not fat-free)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 c. agave syrup

1/4 t. salt

3T arrowroot powder (cornstarch can be substituted if necessary)
3T cold water
1/2 t. vanilla

Whisk together coconut milk, eggs, agave and salt in a saucepan. Begin warming over medium heat.

Combine arrowroot powder with cold water until dissolved. Whisk into saucepan mixture. Whisk constantly over medium heat until pudding thickens. Simmer for one minute and remove from heat.
Stir in vanilla.

Divide into 6 small bowls or ramekins, or simply pour into a larger bowl.
Serve warm or refrigerate for a cold, creamy treat.

Be well!


13 comments:

  1. Do you think you'll be able to freeze batches of this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! The liquids may separate a bit if frozen (I know coconut yogurt does not freeze well), but I imagine an aggressive wisking once thawed may bring the pudding back to life. Let me know how it turns out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know how much in cups this makes, approx? I'm substituting this into a recipe that uses vanilla instant pudding and I need about 4 cups =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mackenzie. This recipe will make just under 3 cups of pudding. Perhaps you could double it and have the rest for snacks!

      FYI, one of my twin boys thought the sweetness was just right. The other thought it was too sweet. You may want to drop the agave to ~1/4c or less for a less sweet recipe.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried using Coconut palm sugar or any other sweeteners ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried coconut palm sugar in this recipe, but I imagine it would lend a lovely, caramelized flavor to the pudding. Since the sugar may absorb liquid, it may make the pudding thicker. If needed, a bit extra water or an extra egg may balance the moisture level. Let me know how it turns out! Thanks, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. One more question did you use pure vanilla extract?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use the Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract. It's gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all the help, I made it today and added 1/2 t. of cinnamon delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent idea! I'm so glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you have a recipe for chocolate pudding?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooooh, you've peaked my curiosity! I'll try a chocolate pudding soon. I would start by using this recipe as a base, and simply add 1/3 c. (or 1/2 c?) of raw cacao powder. If you try it first, let me know how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete