(Not) Aunt Pauline's Bean Salad Recipe

My Great Aunt Pauline was a wonderful cook, poet, and craftswoman. Her bean salad recipe often accompanied many of our church potlucks growing up.

As I felt autumn approach this week, I craved the sweet-tart flavor of her recipe, but wanted to use some of our garden kale and green beans, without so many canned products and with less sugar. I think my Great Aunt Pauline would have approved -- my family sure did.


(Not) Aunt Pauline's Bean Salad Recipe
1 can navy beans
1 large bunch kale (or greens from 6 beets)
Two large handfulls of green beans (about 1 pound)
Half of a small red onion, sliced thinly
1/4 c. olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/4 c. sugar (or less, to taste)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Wash and drain navy beans. 
Cut the tough spine from the kale (put it in your compost bin) and slice leaves thinly.
Steam beans until crisp-tender (about 5 minutes), and cut into 1" pieces.
Combine last 6 ingredients and pour over bean, kale and onion mixture. 
Toss well and refrigerate.

Enjoy!